Friday, October 15, 2010

The Savannah Sparrow of the Vermilon River.

Savannah Sparrow


 
White-Throated Sparrow

House Sparrow

Woodland Sunflower


Woodland Sunflower
 The Savannah sparrow is common to Ontario and has increased over the years with increased agriculture and the resultant deforestation. I'm not so sure that the statement applies to this area ,which is just the opposite, in that it is a regenerating forest. The key to ID'ing the Savannah is the little yellow patch on the head, which is identical to that of the White-Throated Sparrow. That's what makes it hard to spot as well the size and initial look is similar to the House Sparrow. I've included both to show what I mean.

This post begins a look at a group of sparrows. The wild Woodland Sunflower is in seed so it's a good time to attract the different varieties of Sparrows, and to attract more, I baited with additional sunflower seeds.When I first started taking photos of the area, it dawned on me how many different sparrows there are in the Vermilon River area. I decided to try to attract as many as possible, and get their photos. The Woodland Sunflower helped with its late flowering and seeding, much later than Elecampine (see earlier posting Wild Flowers of The Vermilon). The Woodland Sunflower is smaller and "stalkier"growing to at least three feet in height.

2 comments:

  1. Photos one and two are White-throated Sparrows. Three is a female Purple Finch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur on the Finch.... because of the beak shape....

    ReplyDelete